Friday 12 August 2011

Clore social leadership thoughts PT2

I’ve been thinking a lot about social leadership. And I’ve begin separating the two words:
  1. Leadership – Harvard business school; tips, tactic, business acumen etc. (You can add Alan Sugar, commencement speech videos by steve jobs, jk rowling or oprah, and books about moving cheese..)
  2. Social  - more difficult. Towards a notion of society (a post individual notion of society – no going back to 1950s nostalgia), but also social as in shared (collaborative consumption, shared ownership and production etc).

So why is social media good but social housing is bad? I think it’s about obligation. I hate the fact that Thatcher made waiting at the bus stop a small defeat (and why local gov has to spend millions on trams to get us to ride busses).
I hate the fact we’ve been taught to view ourselves in some sort of social hierarchy (on costs of trainers, or klout score).

I think we can do something about it. In fact it leaps up as the only thing to do. And so blindingly simple, but brilliant it has to work.
  • I think it’s perfectly possible to recreate leisure time with a purpose. We spend on ave 3 hours a day watching telly which neither gratifies nor does anything.
  • I think the third sector can give people this - 
  • Of course we can get too utilitarian about these things (everyone needs to explore pointless things) but .
Some say we had to burn the ashes of Europe in a world war before we could unify. Some say we have to push towards the extremes before we can work back. I think a new model of social interaction based on social values – call it a social contract if you will – is the only way to move on from blame. The people who are part of the problem are also part of the solution..

No comments: